

The first sketched image is my original layout plan for the website that I was to create. After researching current websites, for example 'Florence and the Machine' and 'Jack Johnson' I began to suede towards the 'cluttered' effect. The bands were heading for the 'Vintage' notebook effect of trying to fit everything about themselves into the homepage of their website, making it look their own. I really liked this effect as it allows the audience to relate the images, symbols and connotation to the personalities of the band's/artist, as like I have said our 'modern audience' need more to be satisfied than just listening to their music
. As I have mentioned previously, 'GoldBloom's' genre forwards a very laid back, free-will approach to their music. I wanted to portray their 'casual look' into the 'welcome mat' of a website, the homepage.
Creativity also plays a main role in transferring sketch images to CAD (computer aided design) What can be freely made up on paper, is extremely difficult to draw through technology. This is where I have come to the conclusion that Creativity is found through the nature of the hand, the ability to freely draw whatever creation that is made up in your mind transferred to the paper, the only restrictions that occur is when you try to transfer your creative idea's off the paper. This is what I found difficult when trying to make my sketch creation of the website become a real looking, professional website.
All the images on the homepage have been taken from my photography, and a few taken from the band's personal inspirations, for example the 'Buddha'. My inspiration for this 'scattered' image effect has applied from 'Jack Johnson's' website, all his images are of connotations about himself portrayed through pictures. This again is conveying a creative viewpoint suggesting that the creation of images can be just as important and can symbolisea persona just as well as written text can.To convey the personal 'Notebook' effect, I needed a way to express the look I was trying to portray. I came up with the idea of 'Layering' different images, with a slight angle to create the 'flicking of pages' effect. This is shown with the bottom layer of the united kingdom flag, then overlapped by the 'straw' naturalistic effect, then topped with a main image of the band. After researching a few 'online marketing' books, I came across a good accusation, of audience enjoying the participation of interacting through a website. I portrayed this effect through the animation of the small picture framed images, and the animated navigation bar.


After showing GoldBloom, and my potential targeted audience my original idea for their website, they asked if they could see a different style of website for them to choose between, and compare. Their chosen inspiration was 'Mumford & Son's' a current, folk band. The band specifically liked their 'sophisticated' layout of their homepage, and liked the 'LESS IS MORE' approach. This included a black background, with the name of the band, and their logo. I decided that I needed to make use of my photo shoot images of the band, and I also felt that an image of the band is a friendly way to introduce them to a new audience and to help them acknowledge who they are.I sketched asimple layout of a large main image in the bottom centre of the page, with a clear navigation bar, and a bold heading of the bands name, 'GoldBloom'. I found that from having such a simple layout that the image of the band had to be unique, and stand out to grab the audience's attention, as the homepage is the 'welcome mat', the first page to many. Ever since exploring more edit's on 'Picnik', I became fond of the yellow/vintage effect. I really like the warm, friendly connotations that the colour bought to the images. It just so happened that the picture I had chosen to use had a shining sun in the background, this fitted perfectly as I didn't have to edit so much, and the band really liked the idea of having the 'sun' as their logo. I also created a 'Fish eyed' effect on the image, which 'circled' the image, to instigate a friendly, close loving band. This second website idea was much easier to transport my sketch idea to CAD.
PROMOTIONAL VIDEO PLANNING


Similarly to my As foundation project I sketched potentially 'prototypes' of what I wanted the video to be based around. I had used flat plans in my AS production to create 'prototypes' of a magazine cover. After finding the sketched plans useful in AS I was even more certain that they would be useful for my ideas for the promo video. After researching current promotional videos from current bands for useful inspiration, The 'Wombat's' video clip was very similar to how I had imagined my video to be like. After watching the clip, I used my Creative drawing ability to sketch a story board of initial idea's that I had for the video. 'The Wombats' promotional video gave me inspiration to draw my sketched storyboards. I wanted to create an 'Interview' based video so that the bands audience can know deep information about them as a band and as individuals, but also to know vital information about their music, albumsand upcoming gigs.
Animatics of StoryBoarding...
Creating an animatic of the sketched storyboards will help me gain a clearer idea of how the promotional video might turn out like. Creating an animatic will also help me gain a clearer idea of how to use and explore different effects on imovie so that I will be more experienced when I come to the real thing. I wanted to create an 'Interview' based video, shown on the drawing of a sofa and questions that the interviewer would ask the band. I wanted to include original music of the bands music, however I needed to know how to import the music and clip the audio, from creating the animatic I have been able to know how to do these effects. I played around on different effects, for example 'Mosaic' 'blackout' and the 'cube', playing around with these effects will me decided which effects that I would like to use on the real clip, which ones work well, which ones don't etc... Creating an animatic is almost like the PROTOTYPE of the real promotional video. It will also help me gain a clearer idea of how to transport imovie videos onto Youtube.
Animatic used as a 'TEST SCREEN'?

Test screenings arethe most common form of audience research used by hollywood and the film industry as a whole. Long in advance of the release of a film, a small audience will be invited to a secret preview. Effects may not be completed, the sound track may be temporary and the film will sometimes have barely left the edit suite before it is screened to a few film fans to gain feedback from the audience. A questionnaire is generally handed out after the film and the audience asked to complete it. Questions could be on anything from the opening of the film, to the individual characters, or even tothe ending of the film. The audience will be responsible for giving the filmmakers feedback on what does and doesn't work.
Test screenings can be responsible for a huge range of changes made to a film, from a complete re-shooting of the ending all the way down to a simple change of title.
The disadvantage to test screening is that people argue that they are damaging as they can lead to piracy and leaks.
I decided that I would use the animatic of GoldBloom's PROTOTYPE of their promotional video as a 'Test Screen' to a small audience in GoldBlooms focus group ages ranging from 15-20. I handed out a questionnaire for the audience to feedback on what they liked and what could be improved.
Example of Questionnaire...

No comments:
Post a Comment