Tuesday, 18 October 2011

No Rest For The Wombats - Promotional Video.


The Casual Opening to this video, immediately indicates that the video will be a laid back relaxed approach, which also indicates the personalities of the members of the band. The beginning image indicates clearly how many members of the band there is, and most importantly points out the name of the band. "Hi we're the Wombats". I am quite attracted to this first image, as it shocks the audience in a humorous manner, from the mise en scene of the costumes of 'paint balling' equipment, the humour element is shown through the fact that paint balling has no indication towards their music. The humour also comes into the fact that the text is clearly constructed, but not perfectly, this again comes back to the casual approach, that I may use in my promotional video. This laid back approach suits the genre of 'GoldBloom' and the young audience that my promotional video will be suited towards.
Fast Editing then moves to soft beat music, with an image of New York - A well known place that everyone can recognise. I will consider using the idea of creating a moving background image with the word "presenting" in an 'old school' font written on top in a contrasting colour. The natural lighting of sun shining through making it look like a spotlight, matches the connotations of my 'Golden sun' logo, which would convey that the video is a constructed text. It is very important that the name of the band is mentioned at the beginning, in writing "The Wombats." The editing of making the traffic move really fast against a still object/word is definitely something that I will consider using. The music slowly builds in the introduction, increasing in speed and volume, the nearer it gets to image of band, this will be a good editing shot, as when the beat rises to a high point, I would like the image to be of the drummer hitting the main drum. I am attracted by the effect of videoing the band on their way to gig, or band having fun, this links to the 'modern audience' of wanting to know more about the band, rather than just their music. "Music is not enough to keep fans satisfied" This will persuade the bands target audience to want to buy their album, and from the promo video it will allow the audience to know more about the band, what are they like, and how they interact, as well as liking their music. I may use the jolted movement of someone purposely holding the camera, instead of a still image (casual effect).
Close ups of bands faces, so that they are clearly recognised for audience to acknowledge certain character. I like the idea of lowering the camera, facing upwards watching the band members walking and talking until they leave the shot. The video clip of the band performing in gig, with a voice over of band member talking about the album, again shows a cleverly constructed video, This effect is definitely something that I will use in my promo video. To suit the Bands music, and target audience of a younger, slightly rock star audience, the use of dark lighting when videoing the gig, creates a more professional, friendly grunge, nightlife look, that young teens thrive towards. Close ups of instruments, then to faces of band members singing, is another technique that I will possibly use in my video, as the band want to show off their instrumental skills as well as their image.
Background music of the band signing at gig (nice feature) I like how it then quickly edits to where voice is coming from, then an image pops up of the three members outside in the snow talking about them as a band and their album. I think what ruins the video is the interview with record studio, it loses the fast rhythm and speed of editing. The video style that I may use is of someone in the audience videoing the band, close ups and heads moving of others in the audience. I like the red and yellow lighting of the spotlights on bands faces, again creates a more rock/professional look. I will consider using voice overs of all of the band members having their own opinion and own speech. I will definitely consider creating diagetic, or non diagetic background noise of crowds screaming in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment