This recent music video by the current duo artists, 'Rizzle Kicks' has recently been very popular in today's music industry. It may be because of their 'relaxed approach' to their music video, conveying that they are not trying to advertise themselves as artists, they just want to promote their music, humour and show their ability to have fun as a duo, who are still able to sell music. This comes back to 'Andrew Goodwin's' theory of music video's being used to advertise the singers positive personas.
The opening shot is of the camera looking into the window of the front door, this is conveying a sense of voyeurism, a postmodern element and this aspect that the camera is always following the band throughout the video, which is a camera feature that I would like to include throughout my promotional video. The camera is set in a 'Fish Eyed' setting, which I had used in my main picture on my homepage of the website, so it is very likely that I would use this effect in my video as well. The 'Fish Eyed' effect creates a 'circular' setting creating a friendly, loving beginning setting to the opening scene. The narrative set's the scene in the beginning of the band greeting their family, quite a loving, friendly shot of 'hugging', I feel that this is a little too relaxed and personal, as I would feel that my audience would get bored easily, as they would want to watch the video for the band and their music, not for a reunited family gathering.
Lighting is the main feature that stood out for me through this video. As I have spoken a lot about how lighting is very important in images to portray certain connotations, for example, the 'Vintage effect' that I have wanted to portray throughout my editing process. As the band's logo is of a 'Golden Sun' I have mentioned that the lighting I would use would have to be 'yellow' as this has connotations of a warm, friendly colour. In this video the lighting is very similar to the lighting that I would like to use on my video. The lighting has been made to look unedited, by the bright shines of the kitchen ceiling lights, that have purposely been made to look naturalistic. Or the lighting has purposely not been edited to portray their 'relaxed' persona, that they can sell music and create music video's without having to advertise a false setting to their audience, promoting a 'what you see is what you get' approach.
Like I had mentioned in the 'wombat's' video, Humour plays a significant role in male music video's in today's music industry. In this clip, humour is portrayed through the 'mothers' of the band miming the lyrics of the song. This cleverly links to the title of the song, "Mumma do the Hump", so this does show that some thought has been put into the video, it wasn't just made on the spur of the moment.
The camera does not convey a particular clear footage of the video, this maybe is to again forward this aspect of 'someone just happened to film' relaxed approach. The 'jolting' of the camera suggests that the camera has not been stabilised by a tripod, like normal video's would use, this again portrays the 'carelessness' casual image the band portray. This jolted effect is definitely a technique that I will use in my promotional video. I also really liked the idea of the camera following the band, with no edits, so you can see the camera turning, for example from one of the band member closing the door, to the wall, then back to the scene.
The Mise en scene in this video conveys a 'cluttered', homely feel, which creates a sense of place (in the kitchen), and links to the idea that the video is made to look 'unrehearsed'.
The video promotes a 'laid back', 'unedited' approach, creating a casual unrehearsed clip. I really liked this effect of the 'unrehearsed' approach, as it links with the idea of music artists making 'Music look easy'.
No comments:
Post a Comment