
Before beginning my promotional music video on imovie, I wanted to create a visual imaged storyboard. Using inspiration from my sketched storyboard and real visual footage of the band I was able to create an opening sequence. Also from using inspiration from ‘The Wombats’ video, I had mentioned that I wanted to create a similar beginning image creating a sense of place for the audience to acknowledge where the video was filmed, or where the band come from. As the band are from Bristol, I found a long landscape, skyline image of Bristol. As I wanted a ‘Vintage’ ‘yellowy’ effect to match the connotations of the Golden Sun, I used Picnik to create this effect. It also happened that as the image is a high skyline picture, the ‘yellow’ effect looks like the natural glow from the sun. As mentioned before, I really liked the technique of a moving background image with text written on top. As the image was long, I was able to create a ‘moving sideways’ effect so that it looked like the camera was slowly moving across the skyline of Bristol. Similarly to ‘The Wombats’ video I have used text to introduce the place and name of the band, this is to create a sense of a film narrative effect, “We Present”.
I experimented with different colors for the font, but found that white contrasted best with the vintage background. The next scene created jumps straight to introducing members of the band. This is where the camera would be following members of the band. The opening member would be James, lead singer, then the clip would show footage of camera ‘looking for the band’, with audience watching, feeling part of the video looking for the band as well as the camera. Scene then changes to a homely feel of one of the band members kitchen, I wanted to film in the kitchen to link with ‘Mumma do the Hump’ video, creating a relaxed approach to the video. The camera then introduces members of the band in the kitchen without speech, this again is a sense of narration, introducing the characters for the audience to acknowledge. I wanted to keep to the laid back, natural effect, this is shown through ‘props’ of the band eating ‘pizza’ in the ‘mise en scene’ of a kitchen.
As the band have a moto of not advertising their look, but wanting to just promote their music, I wanted their music to be prominent throughout the promo video. In the opening image of Bristol the music is slow and paced well with the sense of an intro, when it comes to the end of the image there is a short pause, then a big drum beat to match the fast pace movement of camera ‘finding’ the band.
No comments:
Post a Comment