Friday, 9 March 2012

CD Mock up















Like all products, I needed to create a PROTOTYPE of the CD so that I could test out different images in each section to see which outcome worked the best. This image on the left was my first initial idea for the interior of the cover. I asked GoldBloom, and a few of their focus group of what they thought of this design, and their feedback was good, but not good enough to satisfy me, that this was a striking, 'PICK ME UP AND BUY ME' album cover, it needed MORE!
The criticism that I received was that the typeface written in the centre of the Golden sun logo was too small, and the colour of the font did not stand out enough. The two images contrasted too much and did not really link, there were too many different images on each section which made the album look OVER done and complicated.

After the audience feedback that I had received I decided that I needed to use less images to keep the subtle, but striking appearance to attract viewers to buy the album when put on shelves. After inspiration from researching interior of current album covers, I came across a clever idea of using one long landscape image used on both sections of the inside design.










I decided to experiment on the mock up template of the large image of the band, and cropping it through the middle to create two separate image that would look like a long landscape image of the original picture used on the interior of the album cover. I was able to crop the photo perfectly leaving the arm of the middle member of the band on the right image to show that the image was a full picture before the editing created on 'iphoto'.














The outcome was a huge success! It was extremely difficult creating the right fit for the section, as I had to print several images off to find the best fit. Like before I showed this second trial mock up to GoldBloom and their focus group, and they both thought that the idea was really original and even looked sophisticated and smart, including looking very professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment